Planner - Planning & Development - #2008552
City of Topeka
The City of Topeka (population 127,000) is seeking qualified candidates for a genuinely committed planner to join the Planning and Development Department.
Topeka is the Capital of the State of Kansas, and is rich with history, diverse neighborhoods, and economic momentum including a major public/private partnership for the revitalization of Topeka’s historic Downtown.
This position is in the Department’s Planning Division and is responsible for implementation of the City’s long range plans, and administration of the City’s zoning and subdivision regulations.
Primary Duties include:
- Responds to inquiries from citizens, public offices, developers, and other interested parties concerning zoning and subdivision regulations, policies, and procedures;
- Reviews and approves building and sign permits for compliance with zoning, sign, and subdivision regulations;
- Conducts research, prepares maps and other illustrative material. Additionally, the person in this position may be assigned to review development proposals and provide recommendations, typically in the form of written reports, on matters of zoning, subdivision, vacations of right-of-way, and site development. The person in the position may be called on to assist with updates to zoning and subdivision regulations, and to present reports and recommendations to the Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals.
We expect the successful candidate will build upon many recent accomplishments which include our award-winning Land Use and Growth Management Plan 2040, Bikeways and Pedestrian Master Plans, Complete Street Guidelines, Neighborhood Conservation Districts, Non-Residential Building Design Standards, comprehensive Sign Code update, and the citywide Housing Market Study and Strategy, and Downtown Master Plan
Planner I position description. Planner I entry rate of pay: $20.91 per hour.
Planner II position description. Planner II entry rate of pay: $25.74 per hour.
Welcome to Topeka Video
The City of Topeka offers a comprehensive benefits package, including
- Health/Dental Insurance
- Kansas Public Employee Retirement System which totals over 315,000 active, inactive and retired members and manages approximately $20 billion in assets for KPERS members' benefits.
- Generous paid vacation leave and separate paid sick leave and two (2) additional paid personal leave day each year along with the ability to earn up to three (3) additional days for perfect attendance.
- Paid Life/Long Term Disability Insurance
- (457) Deferred Comp Savings Plan
- Short-Term Disability Insurance
- Free Onsite Health & Wellness Clinic
- Free in-house Wellness Center, a full service fitness facility
- Free Parking
- Employee Assistance Program